LGBTQ Wedding Planner Guide on Celebrating Love: LGBTQ Destination weddings
LGBTQ Destination Wedding: Congratulations! You are planning a same-sex wedding and have taken an important step towards creating a day that celebrates you and your partner’s love. Whether it’s two brides, two grooms, or anything in between, there are plenty of ways to make it special. Worry not, we at Blissful Plans are a professional LGBTQ wedding planner, we will make your wedding a day to remember.
It’s no secret that planning any wedding can be overwhelming, but same-sex weddings require an extra level of understanding and sensitivity. That’s why we’ve created this guide to help you navigate the unique aspects that come with planning a same-sex wedding. Plus, we’ll provide some tips on how to manage potential stressors with ease. So take a deep breath – it’s time to learn all about creating the perfect same-sex wedding in style!
Same-sex weddings are being accepted worldwide, but it is still not easy to find an LGBTQ wedding planner for a destination wedding. While marriages were always looked at as absurd by multifarious social norms. But some communities are accepting same-sex marriages as a natural choice. “Love has no gender” while many millennial gay celebrities are coming out about their sexuality. Like Troye Sivan and Sam Smith, celebrities like Portia de Rossi and Ellen DeGeneres have tied the knot to celebrate their lives together. However, in one’s day-to-day life, it might not be easy to find people who actively support or organize same-sex weddings.
Worried about finding LGBTQ-friendly wedding venues? No worries, We got you covered trust us. We will find a place that will feel special and welcoming to both you and your guests.
Here are some steps you can take when planning a same-sex wedding:
- Find the Location: If you don’t have any local LGBTQ-friendly venues in mind, look into non-traditional spaces or alternative wedding venues for a unique experience.
- Choose Your Guests: Once the ceremony location is set, think about who will be attending your event. Creating an exclusive guest list can help keep everyone’s expectations in check and make sure that everyone feels welcome. Celebrate with only close family and friends, or expand the guest list so that everyone feels included!
- Choose a Theme: When it comes to themes for LGBTQ weddings, the sky is the limit. Think about what makes you and your partner unique – do you both love music? Are there certain colors that represent your personality? Find out what speaks to the two of you and make sure each element reflects it!
- Be Creative With Decorations: No matter how where you choose to get married, be creative with decorations! Balloons, streamers, glitter, or anything goes as long as it represents who you are as an individual or as a couple! You can also opt for religious symbols if they are meaningful to you both.
- Personalize Your Vows: Personalize to the fullest!
LGBTQ Marriage Requirements
When it comes to getting married, you are probably already aware that there’s a whole lot that goes into wedding planning and it is no different for LGBTQ destination weddings. Before you can get started with the fun stuff, like picking out your wedding color palette or trying on dresses, you’ll want to make sure you’re familiar with the legal requirements for same-sex marriage in your area.
Researching marriage requirements may take some time, but luckily, we’ve broken down the basics below. This guide should provide the information you need to make sure you and your partner get the important legal aspects of your union taken care of:
- Underage Marriages: For most states, neither partner is allowed to be under 18 years old in order to get married.
- Identification Requirements: Both partners must show proper identification usually a valid driver’s license or passport in order to obtain a marriage license.
- Residency Requirements: Most states require one or both partners to be residents for at least a certain period of time before applying for a marriage license.
- Blood Test Requirements: Most states do not require blood tests anymore as a requirement for marriage licenses. However, some still do so it’s important to check with your local county clerk’s office before registering.
- Waiting Periods: Every state has different waiting periods after submitting your license application and before actually getting married.
- Marriage License Fees: Some countries may have different fees depending on where you apply so it’s best to look up specific costs ahead of time in case they differ from what is listed online.
In How many states is Gay marriage/LGBTQ Wedding legal?
A victory for love, LGBTQ weddings are legally recognized in over 30 countries. The Netherlands was the first, to pass a law for same-sex marriage in 2001, and the United States was the 21st country to legalize same-sex marriage in 2015 after its historic Supreme Court ruling.
LGBTQ friendly wedding destinations:
Costa Rica, Northern Ireland, Ecuador, Taiwan, Austria, Australia, Malta, Germany, Colombia, United States, Greenland, Ireland, Finland, Luxembourg, Scotland, England and Wales, Brazil, France, New Zealand, Uruguay, Denmark, Argentina, Portugal, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Canada, Belgium, and The Netherlands.
Countries that allow same-sex marriage in some jurisdictions: Mexico
India legalizing gay relations is the first step towards this ideology. While thirty-two states of the United States have legalized gay marriages the other eighteen are looking forward to lifting the prohibition too.
Love is about two people. Two people who can support each other and lead a lovable life ahead. Amid the speeding life, it is difficult to find that one person who will always bring you peace. The feeling of having the same ideas and opinions to have each other’s back is not defined by caste, creed, religion, color – or even gender.
Across the globe, there are so many such people suffering because of a lack of understanding and acceptance in their respective cultures. Very few brave people are there. They are fortunate enough to make it past all the bricks and stones that are thrown at them in the name of tradition. The story of Mark and Greg is a solid example of how gender preference doesn’t matter when you are truly meant for someone.
LGBTQ wedding ideas
You and your partner have a unique story as an LGBTQ couple, and it is important to be able to express that in your wedding ceremony. Thankfully, there are plenty of creative same-sex wedding ceremony ideas available to help you tailor the event to your relationship.
Here are a few cute LGBTQ weddings ideas:
1. Your wedding” mates of honor” who will be next to you on your big day, will have a lot of responsibilities. Here is a list:
- They must be the sounding board for ideas
- Ring bearers
- Getting the couple ready
- Check your wedding outfits fittings prior
- Help to address wedding invitations, assist us with wedding planning
- Greeting guest
2. Who is gonna wear the suits and who is gonna wear the dress? Ditch the gender standards!
LGBTQ weddings don’t need to follow monotonous traditions, so no need for one bride to wear a women’s wedding suit and one bride to wear a dress if that’s not your vibe.
3. Generally the bride walks down the aisle. Sounds rather outdated, right? It doesn’t need to be your father who walks you down the aisle, it can be anyone close to you! Why not your best friend, a very close auntie, or your mum? or You could even walk down with your partner. It is up to you.
4. You’ll need to check the rules in the destination you would like to get married and should find an LGBTQ-friendly officiant. A lot of couples prefer celebrants instead of an officiant, again it’s all up to you.
Celebrant-led ceremonies aren’t legally recognized in a few places don’t ever worry, We at Blissful plans, the destination gay /LGBTQ wedding planner will take care of everything. You can have the legal part before the morning of your wedding day at a registry office and then a professional celebrant or even a friend can lead your service.
5. Include a symbolic act to represent your love and unity and which will be remembered forever by your guests, here are a few ideas:
- Unity ceremony
- Unity candle ceremony
- Ring warming
- Jumping the broom!
6. You could craft a customized proclamation of commitment for your marriage or forgo a written vow exchange in favor of a “wine box” ceremony that involves the couple sharing their future intentions by placing them into a decorative box.
7. Are you looking for something more traditional? Consider mirroring classic rituals found in opposite-sex ceremonies–like having both members of the couple have someone “give them away” or having both members of the union exchange rings.
LGBTQ+ couples have a huge amount of creative freedom with their wedding day, we will turn your dream wedding into reality. No matter what approach you take, making sure to add personal touches that reflect your relationship is key. It is also important to consider thoughtful new rituals as well, such as hand-fasting or jumping the broom, which can be meaningful symbols of beginning life together and enduring love. Contact us for a free consultation.
Reinvent Traditions for your LGBTQ wedding
When you’re planning LGBTQ destination weddings, you can take a few approaches when it comes to tradition. You can stay true to the same traditions couples of different genders have been doing, or you can reinvent the wheel and add special touches that honor your unique identities as a couple!
Revamp the Gender Roles
The first way to reinvent traditional wedding customs is to revamp traditional gender roles. This isn’t just limited to who pays and who proposes it’s even more nuanced than that. If your partner feels more “feminine” while you feel more “masculine,” don’t be afraid to assign each role the vestments that feel right to each of you, regardless of what traditions dictate.
Decide Who Walks Who Down the Aisle
If one (or both) of you has parents still living, think about who will walk whom down the aisle. Maybe this is something both pairs of parents do, with each parent taking one side. Or maybe only one set of parents will do it or none at all! It’s really up to you and whatever feels most comfortable for everyone involved.
Scrap the Reception Dance Floor Games
If any reception traditions are making your guests feel uncomfortable -like dance floor games like bouquet tosses or garter tosses– consider scrapping them altogether. It’s totally fine not to include them in your celebration; no one needs a reminder that same-sex couples are different from hetero couples!
Reinventing wedding traditions is a great way for LGBTQ couples to make their big day feel meaningful and special; just find ways that make sense for you two as individuals and as a couple!
Tips on Choosing an LGBTQ-friendly Wedding Officiant
When it comes to creating your perfect wedding day, one of the top priorities is finding a wedding officiant who is LGBTQ-friendly. Here are some tips for choosing the right one:
Take the time to do some research. Check out their website and their social media accounts and see what kind of content is there. Does it show an open attitude toward LGBTQ communities? Do they emphasize inclusivity and diversity? This is your hint that they might be a good match for your wedding.
Ask Discreet Questions
If you’re still not sure, find a way to ask them discreet questions about their attitudes towards same-sex weddings. Try not to be too direct as you don’t want them to feel like they’re being put on the spot, but make sure that you get the answers you need in order to make an informed decision.
One great way of finding an ideal officiant is to get recommendations from members of your local LGBTQ community or from friends who have already been married. Word of mouth is often a great source of reliable information!
Look at Reviews
Finally, it can be useful to look at reviews left by other LGBTQ couples who have had experiences with this officiant or agency. Seeing positive reviews about their professionalism, open-mindedness, and interest in making same-sex weddings special can really help make your decision easier.
LGBTQ Friendly wedding venues
Finding a wedding venue that is not just same-sex friendly, but LGBTQ-friendly and an advocate for diversity and inclusion is an important part of planning the perfect same-sex wedding. Here are some key things to look for in a venue:
Professionalism & Warmth
Make sure that the wedding venue staff displays professionalism. In addition to great customer service, they should welcome you and your partner with enthusiasm and show respect throughout your experience. Request a tour of the venue to visit yourself; this way you can get a sense of the energy and assess whether you’d like to have your special day there.
Inclusive Policies & Partnerships
Look into hotels, event venues, or other attractions that partner with Pride organizations or have explicit policies in place that recognize same-sex marriage. Going with a place that already expresses its commitment to diversity is always nice!
Flexibility & Comfort
Choosing a wedding venue is about finding one that resonates with both you and your partner -a place where you feel comfortable expressing yourselves freely! Review contract agreements thoroughly and ensure the team understands your needs before signing anything. Additionally, some venues may be more expensive than others but don’t be afraid to negotiate if possible.
Real LGBTQ wedding
The Story Of Mark and Greg- A Gay Wedding Celebration
The story captured by Gianmarco Vetrano, a famous Italian photographer, is a lovely tale of two Australian boys – Mark and Greg. They decided to get hitched in the stunning land of Italy. Over two days, they carried out the ceremony at ‘La Plage Resort’ on the breathtaking island of the Taormina sea. Their happiness knew no bounds for they were few of the lucky ones to fight for their identity.
They got hitched in the presence of all their loved ones in the majestic La Plage Resort. They hosted a live orchestra party in the evening with lots of music and LED light tubes for kids and adults as well! As wonderfully captured by Gianmarco Vetrano, we can see the guests enjoying the wedding ceremony on his official website.
Their celebration included the following
The party also included a famous dance form “Tarantella” to add to the charm of the evening. This typical dance was performed by professional dancers who were invited to celebrate the union of Mark and Greg. The melodies were entwined to the beads of the night by the “musical e sposi” agency.
Further, the entire dining menu had been handpicked by the couple, it was filled with numerous local dishes. The tables were decorated with gorgeous white covers and light pastel flowers to keep the atmosphere subtle and elegant. Dining in the open air was just the veracious choice to merge with the live orchestra. Furthermore, to light up the dining, the surroundings were lit up beautifully with a variety of lights and candles. The dining area gave a gorgeous view of the city around the wedding venue. Certainly, Gianmarco and the LGBTQ wedding planner have captured the intricate details of the whole ceremony.
The wedding took place at the Grant Hotel Timeo in broad daylight. The altar was decorated with lush greenery and flowers. All kinds of embellishments were used to make the wedding ceremony look stunning. In the stunning backdrop of lush greenery and fresh crisp air, Mark and Greg took their wedding vows. They made their wedding a wonderful example of a homosexual wedding of much elegance and class.
Activities & More- Perfectly Executed for Gay Weddings
Also, their wedding was filled with fun and jolly activities. LGBTQ wedding planner has ensured they had various creative photo booth props like a golden frame, a small hat, etc. This was for adding a little Instagram-able twist to the typical wedding photos.
In the end, they had a surprise that left everyone enchanted. They took dance and music to a whole new level. They did this by hosting a show where the dancers performed inside an inflatable, transparent ball. All the guests were flabbergasted to see the wonderful execution of their performance and stunning skills.
Another silver-screen love story portraying the beauty of homosexual weddings is that of Neil Patrick Harris and his husband David Burtka. They have the most charming love story ever. The language of love does not discriminate. And that’s the beauty of it.
We're LGBTQ wedding planner
So, you want to plan the perfect same-sex wedding? That’s awesome! But where do you start?
Well, one of the best places to start is by working with a professional LGBTQ wedding planner.
Why should you hire us as your LGBTQ wedding planner? Here are some of the top reasons:
- We understand the nuances of planning a same-sex wedding from finding vendors who understand the importance of a gender-neutral ceremony to helping design unique ceremonies that pay tribute to your relationship.
- We have experience in navigating tricky logistics, such as working with religious venues that might not be open to LGBTQ couples and making sure you’re compliant with local laws and regulations.
- We’ll handle all the details when it comes to budgeting and negotiating contracts so you can sit back and enjoy your special day.
An LGBTQ wedding planner will help make sure your special day goes off without a hitch. Whether you are planning a traditional ceremony or something more creative and unique, we will be there every step of the way to ensure your day is perfect in every way!
To plan a homosexual wedding with people who are experienced in the field of wedding planning, contact us. We organize destination weddings in the most beautiful destinations around the world and will organize one with our team of same-gender wedding planners when it comes to same-sex weddings.
We’ll start by helping you choose the right location and then walk you through all the planning stages, from creating your guest list and choosing your decor to decide on your menu and photographing your big day. We’ll also give you some tips on how to save money and make your wedding as unique as you are. So whether you’re just starting to plan your wedding or you’re almost ready to say “I do,” read on for everything you need to make your dream gay wedding a reality.
Planning gay weddings in exotic destinations like Thailand, Spain, India, the UK, Sri Lanka, or any other destination? Feel free to contact us.
Read more: Destination weddings-International locations